rhino 3D Castle

This is my first time using Rhino to create a 3D object. I have had some experience in AutoCAD before but that was a few years ago now. It took a little bit to relearn commands but I think I'm getting the hang of it again. I was inspired by African architecture where buildings are boxy and flat and the ones in more arid climates have wind towers to allow airflow and cooling to a building. Which is pretty cool. 

The first picture is an in-process picture. Here I mainly used the rectangle and extrude functions as well as the box function. 


Here is a ghosted version of the complete castle. 

  front/ right side view 

This is a close up of the top parts of the wind tower. Here the spacing between columns is created by adding another column to the side then subtracting it later. The roof on the columns is created with a box which I then used Boolean difference to subtract extruded cylinders from. After that I grouped the whole piece together to make it easier to move around.  
front view
back/ left side view
The windows were the most time consuming part of this. I started by making the frame out out of boxes then I added two extruded circles on top which I then Boolean differenced to create the rounded top of the frame after which I joined the pieces together. I then made a polyline frame of the face of the castle which I used to figure out placement for my windows. After that I copy pasted the frame to the areas I wanted it. I had to add the window part in after because when I went to subtract it from the castle body only the frames were removed and not the center parts. So I made a box with a cylinder on top that I joined together and copied into the frames. After that I grouped each separate side's frames together and windows together. Then using the polyline frame as a reference I moved the frames and windows to where I wanted them. I then moved the frames 4mm away from the surface of the castle and subtracted the windows using Boolean difference.  

Overall it was really fun to make this castle and get familiar with CAD again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The final stretch

glitched coffee table furniture design