Chess set sketches

 Our next project is to make some pieces for a 3D printed chess set and I've decided to make a lotus pond with some frogs and butterflies.  

from top left to right in the chart is the pawn, bishop, knight, rook, king, and queen. If we are able to make the pieces with different colours I would add a post to the lily pads and holes for the posts in the frogs and lotuses so that they can be made with different colours. I haven't made something this complicated to be 3D printed before so I am not quite sure if these designs will need supports or it the angles have enough underneath them that the top won't fall off. I know the butterfly would probably be the most difficult to print so I might have to lay each wing flat and come up with some way to join them after. The same goes for the frog tongue and fly. 

In any case I am looking forward to figuring it out.   


The original design just had the lily pad, the lotus, and the butterfly, but I thought it looked just a little plain so I dropped the original knight and king designs and made them cute frogs. 


Initially I thought I would try to make it look like origami but I've decided that the pieces would look better as normal things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The final stretch

glitched coffee table furniture design